8.23.2004

Lightning Strike

Monday. There has been more seasonal heat the past few days. The increased temperatures have caused my ‘wonder vine’, originally containing no less than 28 cantaloupe melons, to ripen at an increased pace. For the record, those melons are some of the best I have had in my life. They are like warm, very sweet, semi-hard butter. All who have tasted have raved, and they have eaten with abandon. I have enjoyed more success with that single plant than in all previous endeavors. Earlier attempts just do not come close. I credit the superior, organic soil composites...

Ben, Sister, and I sat on the front porch this evening about 1715. It was raining. They had to go back to Murray after a return from ‘first day’ yesterday, for the sole purpose of enjoying 12 oz of good corn-fed-based NY strip steaks last night. Ben was waiting for UPS to deliver his new JVC single-disc DVD player. Jill, their taxi-woman, was waiting for a summer squall to abate before she ferried them east to campus.

CRACK! I was painfully deafened by thunder. The up-close phenomenon is nothing like the echoes we normally experience. The explosive burst of air pressure gave me a headache. It was a poignant reminder that, even minor, nature is profoundly awesome in Its power.

The central, front-yard pecan tree suffered another direct hit (the last, at best guess seven years ago). ‘Lightning never strikes twice in the same place’ is a wishful myth. "Those [wood strips] look weird," said Ben. These seven or eight pieces thrown to the ground were odd. "That’s because the bark never grew back from the last strike," I answered.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?