8.15.2004

This August ain't like no other

Hot August Blues, my behind!

Married 23 years. This particular anniversary marks a pivotal point: I have now been married longer in my life than I have not. In the life of a man or woman, that milestone brings a significant, profound realization. It mainly has to do with the passage of life through adulthood. It tends to bring home a final lesson about childhood, and that is it is fleeting and short. In terms of physicality, one’s ascendancy is all to short. Adulthood is all about a measured, slow decline (in the physical sense).

Congruently, I congratulate Jill and myself. We managed to stay very much together in a time when statistics are against us. We were married at a relatively young age, with not much of a saddles worth of maturity. We helped raise two very good souls in Ben and Elizabeth. I acknowledge Jill is my best friend. That is the truth. God blessed me, in spite of the hard fact that I do not deserve a 10th of what he gave me.

This August has been like no other since 1964, I am told. For days running, the weather has been as if it were mid to late October. Cool nights have dipped into the low 50's, and the days haven’t risen past the low 80's. We must not forget: August at this point traditionally carries the moniker ‘Dog Days’, which equates with stultifying, miserably hot and uncomfortable.

On the political front, I have yet to hear the patrician John F. Kerry substantively respond to mounting, blogospheric allegations that he has lied about his mythic, heroic Vietnamese past.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?