9.28.2004

Blogger World

Farhad Manjou has an excellent story at Salon about political blogging. You'll have to read a multi-part ad before you get access, but it's worth it. Here are some excerpts:

[Markos] Moulitsas [Zuniga, owner of the left of left site Daily Kos] concurs; on the Web, it's springtime for number crunchers. "I've always been a political junkie," he says. "But never before like this -- there's no way I could have kept up with a Senate race in South Dakota, or a House race in Nevada, it just was not possible. Now, every newspaper's online, and with Google News I can have all this stuff e-mailed to me when news happens. I've set up all sorts of keywords; I'm always getting all this stuff. It's a whole different environment."

* * * *

In this sense, what we're seeing in this election cycle is truly novel; amateurs, the political junkies whose interest in politics used to go unfulfilled, now find themselves holding some of the mightiest data in politics, the kind of dish they used to drool over.

Most of the writer's examples are center-left, but the story will probably resound well with you if you are a 'political junkie'. My better half says 'junkie' is blase. Yeah, it has gotten a lot of use over the years, but I think it's never-the-less apt.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?