10.22.2004

A curious, deeply disturbing anecdote

I have a friend who is a strong, political leader in his community. His leadership extends across a generation. He was born a Democrat; his father, probably more influential than he, was a lifelong New Deal Democrat. My friend was born to it. Recently, I have heard disturbing rumours about him.

For several years, I have engaged him in political dialogue outside of the public eye. "You strike me a very conservative individual," I said. "You are the essence of a man grounded in common sense and deeply held values." Always with a politician's smile, he never gave an inch from his chosen party's line. Yet, he lived the life of an honest, conservative American.

He is a stalwart Southern Baptist. I know this because of his reputation and his actions. Yet, last year, he stood openly against his regional church body politik. He said he would vote in support of a resolution in support of the troops, but he would not the same resolution if it included prayer for the current government or our President. Very controversial, indeed.

Still, I joked with him... pressed him to admit the reality of his life.

A couple of days ago, I heard he now stands at odds with his home congregationt. Like many southern baptist church houses (think about Kerry politicking behind various pulpits), his local pastor has begun speaking out on many of the moral issues liberals have dragged into the political arena. "Preach on abortion or homosexual marriage (or other great issues of the day), and I will stand up in the midst of your sermon and debate you!" He allegedly said this to his pastor, face-to-face. His fellow congregants are unhappy with him. He supposedly told his preacher he will take his family and leave...

I am perplexed, and deeply so. He is a good man of stalwart conviction -- I passed it off to blind loyalty to his party, but his openly defiant stand against the pastor boggles my mind. I will be careful and not treat politics so lightly the next time I see him.

This man exemplifies a large portion of the leftist electorate: His party left him behind in the dust; its positions swirl bitter and dry in his mouth (OR DO THEY SIT WELL WITH HIM?). Yet, loyalty is a deep southern trait, it is paramount.

Thank the Lord, I trust my common sense.

Nevertheless, millions of his like-minded compatriots hang on to a vacuous impression of the past, and are loyal to it... Think of honest loyalists in the time of the Revolution or the great Civil War... it's getting easier with each day to imagine those thoughts and emotions... as well as the awful feelings of uncertainty clinging to each of us...

Comments:
What an interesting story; I wonder how many Democrats this gentleman represents? I must say, the 90s were no picnic. It was hard losing...but life went on. Of course we were all ignorant of what was being formulated at the time. This election is a passionate process for everyone that's paying attention. I am so thankful that the polls are looking our way on this one, for sure. Too bad your friend has not looked to Zell Miller to find his way through the fog.
 
The name of Zell Miller rolls off him like water off a duck's back... yet, I think of this man as if he were Zell... go figure.
 
I have linked to your post as an example of BDS. Check it out. I tried to be respectful your friend and hope it comes across as such.

http://kellipundit.blogspot.com/2004/10/case-study-political-disorders.html
 
As always, Moomont, your observations are nothing if they are not astute.
 
HB-Check out the front page article about Miss Gertie in today's Tennessean. The main link is tennessean.com. At 105, Miss Gertie is Tennessee's oldest living voter, and her voting history is Democrat, this election included, with no if's, and's or but's. Judy Bean
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?